Concerned about the outcome of the last election? Want to get involved and help defend progressive values? We will be making periodic postings of ways you can get involved in a range of projects with various non-DFL organizations. (DFL events are listed on our DFL In the Know posts.)
Here are some upcoming events:
- Indivisable CD3 Phone Script(s)
- ISSUE AND OPTIONAL SCRIPT: U.S. HOUSE PROPOSED BUDGET — My name is ____(Name)____ and I live in Rep. Paulsen’s district in ____(City)____. I’m deeply concerned about the House’s proposed budget, especially the $203 billion in cuts over the next 10 years in “mandatory” spending on programs such as Medicare and Social Security. I know the House Ways and Means committee is drafting the tax bill section of the budget. They are expected to cut $52 billion from Medicare, disability aid, Temporary Assistance for needy families and unemployment compensation. I’m calling to ask Rep. Paulsen, as a member of that committee, to protect these programs that maintain a safety net for many people in our district. Thank you.
- Background 1, Background 2
- Phone Numbers: 202.225.2871 (DC) or 952.405.8510 (MN)
- July 20, 5:00 PM — Lake Minnetonka Area Drinking Liberally with Rebecca Otto, Hazellewood Grill & Tap Room, 5635 Manitou Rd, Excelsior MN 55331
- July 20, 7:00 PM — Indivisible MN03 Chaska Meeting, Shepherd of the Hill Presbyterian Church, 145 Engler Blvd, Chaska, MN 55318. More information and RSVP here.
- July 20, 7:00 PM — Indivisible Northwest Metro Social Mixer, OMNI Brewing Co., 9462 Deerwood Ln N, Maple Grove, MN 55369
- July 22, 9:00 PM — Indivisible MN03 at Spirit of the Lakes Parade, more information and RSVP here.
- July 22, 2:00 PM — Indivisible MN03 Paulsen Protects Polluters Party Bush Tour, more information here.
- July 23, 2:00 PM — Indivisible North Metro Summer Picnic, Pavillion 1, Locke Park, 840 71st Ave NE, Minneap0lis, MN 55432, more information here.
- July 25, 12:00 PM — Resist Trump Tuesdays, Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s office, 1200 Washington Ave S, Unit 250, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- July 25, 7:00 PM — Minnetonka Indivisible at Music in the Park, Minnetonka Community Center, 1460 Minnetonka Blvd, Minnetonka, MN 55345. More information and RSVP here.
- July 27, 6:30 PM — How to Talk with Loved Ones and Friends Across the Political Chasm, Brookdale Library, 6125 Shingle Creek Pkwy, Minneapolis, MN 55430. More information and RSVP here.
- July 30, 1:00 PM —Join supporters at the home of Jim and Joanne Weygand ad David Snyder announces his his candidacy for the House District 47A seat, 209 Carver Creek Place, Carver, MN. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 612.802.5307.
- July 31 – August 4 — Wellstone Action Data Analytics Camp, more information and RSVP here.
- July 31, 7:00 PM — Indivisible MN03 Plymouth Meeting, Lunds & Byerly’s meeting room, 13081 Ridgedale Dr, Minnetonka, MN 55305
- August 1, 12:00 PM — Resist Trump Tuesdays, Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s office, 1200 Washington Ave S, Unit 250, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- August 1, 7:00 PM — Stronger Together Meeting with CD3 Candidate Dean Phillips, Edina Senior Center, 5280 Grandview Square, #101, Edina, MN 55436
- August 7, 7:00 PM — Indivisible MN03 Chaska Meeting, Shpherd of the Hill Presbyterian Cuurch 145 Engler Blvd, Chaska, MN 55318. More information and RSVP here.
- August 8, 12:00 PM — Resist Trump Tuesdays, Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s office, 1200 Washington Ave S, Unit 250, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- August 9, 6:00 PM — Indivisible MN03 Racial and Social Equity Community Conversation, basic information and RSVP here.
NOTE: Candidates for the CD3 DFL and Senate District endorsements should send event information to email@example.com for posting on this listing and the CD3 DFL calendar.
Other ways to make your voice heard:
- Center for American Progress has developed a Trumpcare Toolkit to help people make their voice heard on the Senate Republicans holding secret meetings to develop their version of the AHCA/Trumpcare. Here’s a link to that resource.
- HandsOff.org is a coalition of organizations working against the Trump/GOP budget. Visit their site and leave your story of how this massive attack on the social safety net would impact you and your family’s life.
- Indivisible CD3 Petition: Erik Paulsen — Release Trump’s Taxes
- Moveon.org is looking for local volunteers to become MoveOn Mobilizers for their Resistance Summer. If you’re interested, you can apply online here.
- NARAL Pro-Choice America is developing a rapid response team to react quickly to the Senate Republican health care plan they’re developing in secret. To join the effort, text NARAL to 91990. You’ll receive mobile action alerts.
Congressman Paulsen’s Lack of Public Town Halls
Ongoing — Want to contact Cong. Paulsen regularly about progressive issues? Calls for Change is offering ways to do that: It’s easier than you think to do something to advance women and equality. Calling members of Congress is one of the most effective ways to influence the political process, and Calls for Change makes it simple and fast. Each week we’ll send you all the information you need — from the right phone number to a sample script — so in just ten minutes you can make sure your voice is heard. Learn more about the issues we’re focused on.
- Ongoing — Constituents running into road blocks in contacting Rep. Erik Paulsen to express their wish for an in-person town hall meeting have created this FaceBook group. If you agree and would like to participate, please join and help.
- Ongoing — StandUpMN Indivisible CD3 asks that residents of Congressional District 3 sign their online petition requesting Cong. Paulsen hold quarterly town hall meetings to address concerns about the Trump agenda and then share it with their friends.
- Ongoing — Live in the Dewey Hill neighborhood in Edina? Join their group on nextdoor.com to help work to have Rep. Paulsen hold a real town hall in his district
- Ongoing — Rep. Scott Peters of California has an online petition that can be signed urging other Congress members to hold town halls in their districts (we haven’t completed the form, so we don’t know, but it’s pretty common to have a contribution ask at the end that isn’t mandatory).
- ResistanceRecess.com has a website where you can sign a pledge to contact Rep. Paulsen, and find out about more activities in our area here.
Looking for tools to help you move through the Trump years?
- 5 Calls is an app that helps people make the move from passive participation into active resistance. Spend 5 minutes making 5 calls a day. Here’s a link to the iTunes preview, and a link to the Android preview.
- ACLU Resistance Training — Weren’t able to watch the original livestream of this training? You can watch it here.
- Boycott Trump — there is a free application available in the App Store and GooglePlay listing all the organizations that have been involved with Donald J. Trump and how to help you make decisions on where to spend your money.
- Brave News — Need some positive news to help keep you energized? Subscribe to this newsletter for true stories of courage and resistance.
- BuzzFeed is maintaining a running list of Pres. Trump’s lies here.
- The Center for American Progress Action Fund has a podcast, OffKilter, that focuses on poverty and inequality. You can listen online or subscribe on iTunes.
- Countable — Contact Congress and Vote on Bills is an application that allows you to do just that, follow what’s happening in Congress. Free download on both Android and iPhone.
- DailyAction.org — sign up on their website and receive a daily text of issues to call your representative about.
- EMILY’s List — EMILY’s List recruits, trains and supports pro-choice Democratic women candidates at every level of the ballot. By helping to elect these women to office in 2017, we’re not only building a farm team, but we’re also putting strong women in charge of decisions that affect women and families every day — from the legislators who write laws, the attorneys general who defend and enforce them, and the secretaries of state who ensure access to the ballot. Contribute to help them do this important work.
- Flippable.org — this organization is up and running and working to get progressive elected to office at the state and federal level.
- Help Our Muslim Family — Medium.com has 20 ways you can do this.
- Indivisible.com has developed an activist guide book that is a free PDF download.
- Libraries Serve Refugees — this group is looking for librarians, researchers, editors, lawyers and site administrators to help them find the best resources for refugee and immigrant populations. Here’s a link to their site.
- Obama Foundation — President and Mrs. Obama have launched an organization. You can find out more here.
- PeoplePower.org —The ACLU has created this group to help organize the resistance to what we see being done to people in this political climate
- Resistance Calendar — looking for an action locally get participate in? Check out this site. Have an event, you can enter that, as well.
- Resistance Manual — is an interactive site where you can find out about issues nationally and locally.
- Rise Up! Brunch Can Wait — Is a new effort started in Washington, DC, and moving out into other cities. The concept? Come to an event, have a drink or snack, take the money you’d spend on a brunch or other meal and give it to an organization working against what’s being done to people by the Trump agenda. Here’s a link to the March 19 DC event.
- Run for Something — this is an organization that is looking to recruit and support progressive candidates running for office. If progressives aren’t elected, progressive ideas can’t be implemented. Check it out and think about serving on your city commissions, running for city, county and state offices — maybe higher office.
- Signal Boost — Jess and Zerlina not only have an e-update, they now have a radio program for those who’ve subscribed to SeriusXM on Channel 127 Saturday’s at 10:00 AM ET. Don’t subscribe? You can stream the program from their website. When you’re at the page, click on “Listen Online” in the menu.
- The Sister District Project — this group is matching people in safe, blue districts around the country with red districts to help flip the U.S. House. Sign up to be notified of events here.
- Take Back Your State Minnesota — a website created by a Minnesota couple to consolidate information on legislation, contacting your representative, etc. Visit their site for more information.
- The Town Hall Project — This group is creating a spreadsheet of where elected representatives are holding their meetings. Here’s a link.
- TrumpAccountable.org — A new organization that wants to make the public aware of the impact of the Trump Administration and Donald Trump. Here’s a link.
- Tweet Congress — this website allows you to tweet directly to Congress members, either all of them or selectively.
- WeAreNewYork — Why are we listing this site where it’s New York-centric? Jeanne Heifetz, who’s the site’s creator, has created a manual to help people interested in creating a similar site in other areas. Just send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know you’re interested.
- Indivisible Radio — Per their website, the national conversation about America in a time of change is coming to public radio. Visit their website, join their mailing list and you’ll be aware of how things are moving forward.
- CD3 DFL — You can also volunteer on our website to help within the DFL party.
Organizations to support:
- DFL CD3 — we’re here to elect people to office who hold progressive values. There’s a PayPal donate button in the upper right corner of this page.
- ACLU — they’re always at the forefront of fights to maintain our rights. Contribute to them here.
- Center for Constitutional Rights — The Center for Constitutional Rights is dedicated to advancing and protecting the rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Here’s a link to their site
- Committee to Protect Journalists — With Trump Administration staffer Kellyanne Conway calling for reporters who “talk smack” about Pres. Trump to be fired, we need to keep the people reporting safe from a president who’s proved he will sue at the drop of a hat. Here’s a link to their site.
- Movementvote.org is a new platform to help progressive donate money in areas that will help make their dollars go further. Check it out here.
- It Starts Now — This is a group focusing on flipping the U.S. House in the 2018 midterm elections: The 2018 midterm election is our first chance to flip the House and the Senate and install some checks and balances on the Trump-Pence White House —We must start right now. They’re asking for a monthly contribution to grow their war chest. Here’s a link to their site.
- Southern Poverty Law Center — The Southern Poverty Law Center is dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of our society. Here’s a link to their site.
And, if you want to show people where you stand on issues, here’s a site that’s offering clothing, etc. with a portion of the proceeds going to support the resistance efforts: