The government could face a Republican-forced shutdown over their mission to defund Planned-Parenthood. Denying funds to the women’s healthcare provider has been widely supported by most of the Republican Presidential front-runners.
This not only puts the millions of women who count on Planned Parenthood for vital services at risk, but could also cost the government billions if a shutdown occurs.
Here are just a few of the damaging things that happened the last time Republicans forced an unnecessary government shutdown:
- The shutdown cost $24 billion.
- Agencies including the Food and Drug Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency had to cancel health and safety inspections.
- Almost $4 billion in tax refunds were delayed.
- Federal loans to small businesses, homeowners and families in rural communities were put on hold.
- Private-sector lending to individuals and small businesses were disrupted, because banks and lenders couldn’t access government income and Social Security Number verification services.
- Critical government-sponsored scientific research was put on hold. Noteably, four of the five Noble prize winning scientists who work for the federal government were furloughed during the shutdown.