- 10:45 a.m. – House DFL legislators will join a large group of teachers, parents and kids for a rally and press conference in front of the State Capitol ahead of a floor vote on the Republicans “Leave All Minnesota Kids Behind” education budget bill.
- 11 a.m. – The Minnesota House of Representatives is in session.
- 3 p.m. – Gov. Dayton, Sen. Franke, Lt. Gov. Smith, Congressman Peterson, and members of the Governor’s Cabinet will hold a public forum at MinnWest Technology Center, 1880 Technology Dr. NE, Willmar, to take questions from area turkey producers and members of the public
- 7 a.m. – Free pancake & sausage breakfast with a program at 9:15 a.m. in honor of Workers Memorial observance. Duluth Labor Temple, 2002 London Road, Freeman and Wellstone Halls.
- 11:30 a.m. – Observance of Workers Memorial Day, Pub 500, 500 S. Front St., Mankato.
- 3 p.m. – Gov. Dayton will convene an emergency meeting of the Governor’s Executive Council. The Executive Council will consider extending for up to 30 days the peacetime emergency declared on April 23, 2015, in the Governor’s Emergency Executive Order 15-09, which provided emergency relief in response to the presence of H5N2 Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza in Minnesota.
- Every year on April 28, the unions of the AFL-CIO observe Workers Memorial Day to remember those who have suffered and died on the job and to renew our efforts for safe workplaces. This year the struggle continues to create good jobs in this country that are safe and healthy and pay fair wages and to ensure the freedom of workers to form unions and, through their unions, to speak out and bargain for respect and a better future. It’s time for our country to fulfill the promise of safe jobs for all.
- 8:30 a.m. – MnDOT Rochester Truck Station, 2900 48th St NW, Rochester.
- Noon – Workers Memorial Garden, State Capitol.
- 5:30 p.m. – Grand Forks (North Dakota) – Northern Valley Labor Council, Bringewatt Park, 2205 24th Ave. S, Grand Forks.
- 6 p.m. Apple Valley – Dakota County Labor Assembly, Lebanon Cemetery, the Monument to Fallen Workers, County Road 42 and Pilot Knob Road, Apple Valley.
Events Saturday, May 2
- 10:30 a.m. – The DFL Veterans Caucus will meet prior to the State Central Committee meeting. All SCC members are welcome to join the meeting which will focus primarily on legislation before the MN legislature and US Congress regarding veterans issues.
- 11:30 a.m. – State Central Committee meets, Carpenter’s Hall, 70 Olive St., St. Paul.
Save the date
- June 14 – Tickets for the Minnesota DFL Women’s Hall of Fame 2015 luncheon are now on sale here.
DFL events you won’t want to miss!
- June 6 – Tickets are now on sale for the 4th Annual Humphrey-Mondale Dinner.
- June 20 – Registration is now open for the DFL Training Summit. Attend and learn how you can help the party build to win, built to last.
As session nears end, activists keep the pressure on, Pioneer Press
Bakk threatens to pass on transportation, tax bills, Pioneer Press
Minnesota lawmakers freeing up funds for a bird flu fight, Pioneer Press
Today, Gov. Dayton will travel to Willmar to join Sen. Franken, Lt. Gov. Smith Smith, and Congressman Collin Peterson to discuss the ongoing state and federal responses to avian flu in Minnesota. Gov. Dayton will tour the Emergency Operations Center in Willmar, and meet with emergency responders who are working on the state and federal responses to avian flu in Minnesota.
At 3 p.m., Gov. Dayton and members of the delegation* will hold a public forum at MinnWest Technology Center (1880 Technology Drive NE, Willmar, MN 56201) to take questions from area turkey producers and members of the public. This event is open to the press and public.
*Delegation members include the following:
- Gov. Dayton
- Sen. Franken
- Lt. Gov. Smith
- Congressman Collin Peterson
- Agriculture Commissioner Dave Frederickson
- Public Safety Commissioner Mona Dohman
- Health Commissioner Dr. Ed Ehlinger
- State Veterinarian Dr. Bill Hartmann
- Dr. Byron Schick of the U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Sen. Lyle Koenen
- Rep. Dave Baker
- David Fitzsimmons, Chief of Staff for Congressman Tom Emmer
- Chuck Ackman, Regional Outreach Director for Senator Amy Klobuchar
Senate approves human trafficking bill by 99-0 vote, Worthington Daily Globe
Dayton proposes funding for universal preschool, Duluth News Tribune
House passes $787 million omnibus environment finance bill, Session Daily
MNGOP has a great idea, cut taxes on rich people, mn progressive project
Gov. Mark Dayton threatens veto of any gun silencer bill, Star Tribune
Local Government Aid
House tax bill contains ticking time bomb, Minnesota Budget Project
Minnesota mayors to press on state road funding, Pioneer Press
Bills seek bonding money for rail crossing fixes, Session Daily
Felon voting bill wins approval in Minnesota Senate, Pioneer Press
Gov. Walker, welcome to a state that works (just sayin’), Star Tribune
In visit, Walker discounts idea Wisconsin lagging Minnesota, Journal Times
In visit, Walker discounts idea Wisconsin lagging Minnesota, Pioneer Press