- 8:30 a.m. – Lt. Gov. Tina Smith, U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, and Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges will visit the Northside Achievement Zone. Following the tour, Smith, Duncan and Hodges will be joined by Northside President Sondra Samuels and area parents at a roundtable discussion about the importance of investing in early learning programs. Northside Achievement Zone, 2123 West Broadway Ave., No. 100, Minneapolis.
- 9:45 a.m. – MinnesotaCare enrollees and advocates will hold a media availability outside the House chambers to urge legislators to vote against the House GOP plan to eliminate MinnesotaCare.
- 10 a.m. – The Minnesota House of Representatives meets in session. The body adjourns until 1 p.m. when members will take up three omnibus finance bills: health and human services, liquor and public safety.
- 10 a.m. – News conference with retail janitors who complain of wage theft. Walgreens, 200 W. Lake St., Minneapolis.
- 10:50 a.m. – Gov. Mark Dayton and U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan will visit a preschool classroom at Richardson Elementary School in North Saint Paul. Following the classroom visit, Gov. Dayton, Secretary Duncan, Lt. Gov. Tina Smith, Minnesota Education Commissioner Brenda Cassellius, and teachers, parents, and administrators from Richardson Elementary will hold a news conference to discuss the importance of investing in early learning programs.
- Gov. Dayton will provide remarks at United Steelworkers Day on the Hill.
- Noon – The Minnesota Senate meets in session.
- AFSCME members who work in state-run mental health facilities march for safe jobs at six sites on Workers’ Memorial Day. Marches are planned in Anoka, Brainerd, Duluth, Moose Lake, St. Peter and Willmar. Various times and locations.
- Every year on April 28, the unions of the AFL-CIO observe Workers Memorial Day to remember those who have suffered and died on the job and to renew our efforts for safe workplaces. This year the struggle continues to create good jobs in this country that are safe and healthy and pay fair wages and to ensure the freedom of workers to form unions and, through their unions, to speak out and bargain for respect and a better future. It’s time for our country to fulfill the promise of safe jobs for all.
- 8:30 a.m. – MnDOT Rochester Truck Station, 2900 48th St NW, Rochester.
- Noon – Workers Memorial Garden, State Capitol.
- 5:30 p.m. – Grand Forks (North Dakota) – Northern Valley Labor Council, Bringewatt Park, 2205 24th Ave. S, Grand Forks.
- 6 p.m. Apple Valley – Dakota County Labor Assembly, Lebanon Cemetery, the Monument to Fallen Workers, County Road 42 and Pilot Knob Road, Apple Valley.
- The Restore the Vote Coalition will be hosting a Day of Action at the Minnesota Capitol. This day of action will include a gathering of supporters on the north lawn of the State Office Building at noon.
- 10:30 a.m. – The DFL Veterans Caucus meets, Carpenter’s Hall, 70 Olive St., St. Paul.
- 11:30 a.m. – State Central Committee meets, Carpenter’s Hall, 70 Olive St., St. Paul.
Save the date
- May 16 – The DFL African-American Caucus will meet at 10 a.m., Golden Thyme Coffee House, 921 Selby Ave, St. Paul.
Events you won’t want to miss!
- June 6 – Tickets are now on sale for the 4th Annual Humphrey-Mondale Dinner.
- June 20 – Registration is now open for the DFL Training Summit. Attend and learn how you can help the party build to win, built to last.
Strib notes that GOP is failing rural Minnesota, mn progressive project
Rep. Youakim settles in at the Minnesota House, Sun Sailor
GOP’s open season on Clinton, The Hill
Head Start for Jeb Bush campaign is part of Scott Walker’s plan, New York Times
Minnesota emergency costs soar as bird flu outbreak worsens, Pioneer Press
Bakk says bird flu costs to state may reach $6M or more, Star Tribune
Local Government Aid
End political games, nonsense over LGA, Duluth News Tribune
High stakes as Supreme Court considers same-sex marriage case, Washington Post
Minnesota v Wisconsin
OUR OPINION: Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Great Race, Grand Forks Herald
Sunday liquor sales
GOP budget plan is misleading, U of M Daily
In transportation debate, Minnesota mayors want to be remembered, Grand Forks Herald
New $2B price tag puts SW light rail at risk, Star Tribune
Minn. Senate OKs gas tax hike for roads, bridges, Star Tribune
Dayton rails against people throwing muck, Pioneer Press
Read Gov. Dayton’s statement on SW LRT price increase, Star Tribune
21st Century transportation network: It’s time, Minnesota Senate