- 10:30 a.m. – Republican Party of Minnesota holds news conference about Democratic presidential candidates speaking at a DNC meeting. Minnesota State Fair, Republican booth.
- 10:50 a.m. – Lincoln Cafee speaks at the Democratic National Committee Summer Meeting.
- 11 a.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will provide remarks and present a proclamation for the “Governor’s Fire Prevention Day” at the Minnesota State Fair. Carnes Avenue and Chambers St., St. Paul.
- 11 a.m. – Mayor Coleman, St. Paul police and fire chiefs hold news conference ahead of Saturday’s planned demonstration by Black Lives Matter. St. Paul City Hall, Room 42.
- 11:15 a.m. – Hillary Clinton speaks at the Democratic National Committee Summer Meeting.
- Noon – Joined by Smokey Bear, Lt. Gov. Smith will provide remarks at the DNR Kids Fire Prevention Day event. DNR Building, 1740 Carnes Ave., St. Paul.
- Noon – The Democratic candidates for president will hold a news conference at the Democratic National Committee Summer Meeting.
- 1:25 p.m. – Martin O’Malley speaks at the Democratic National Committee Summer Meeting.
- 1:50 p.m. – Bernie Sanders speaks at the Democratic National Committee Summer Meeting.
- 4:30 p.m. – Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley, a Democratic candidate for president, will visit the DFL booth at the Minnesota State Fair.
Mark your calendars
- Aug. 29 – The Democratic National Committee (DNC) Seniors Coordination Council will meet at the Hilton Minneapolis Hilton at 1001 Marquette Ave. S. from 10 a.m. to noon. Admission is free. For more information contact DFL Senior Caucus Vice Chair Karla Sand at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DNC presidential primary debates
- Oct. 13 – CNN – Nevada
- Nov. 14 – CBS/KCCI/Des Moines Register – Des Moines, IA
- Dec. 19 – ABC/WMUR – Manchester, NH
- Jan. 17 – NBC/Congressional Black Caucus Institute – Charleston, SC
- February or March – Univision/Washington Post – Miami, FL
- February or March – PBS – Wisconsin
Eight candidates seek to become Duluth’s next mayor, Duluth News Tribune
2015 special election
Fourth DFL candidate announces for open District 3A House seat, Duluth News Tribune
Clinton, Dems strike fundraising deal, The Hill
U.S. Congressman Ellison undecided on presidential pick, Pioneer Press
Fiorina moves to secure spot in second GOP debate, Star Tribune
No, Bernie Sanders is not going to run as an independent, Washington Post
Trump-ward, Christian Soldiers? New York Times
This guy wants to be president: who should we still pay attention to? mn progressive project
This guy wants to be president: I hardly recognize Wisconsin, mn progressive project
Black Lives Matter
Black Lives Matter pushes ahead with protest plans, Star Tribune
Democratic National Committee
The Pioneer Press political team is on scene at the Democratic National Committee meeting in downtown Minneapolis, where presidential candidates Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Martin O’Malley and Lincoln Chafee will be speaking to supporters and Democratic Party leaders later today. Follow Rachel E. Stassen-Berger and David Montgomery on Twitter, or in the live blog below, for updates.
Approximate times for the day’s highlights:
- 10:50 a.m.: Chafee’s speech
- 11:15 a.m.: Clinton’s speech
- 1:25 p.m.: O’Malley’s speech
- 1:50 p.m.: Sanders’ speech
In addition, all the candidates will hold brief news conferences; tune in around noon and 2:45 for coverage of those remarks.
Report card on Green Line businesses: Optimism, now that it’s open, Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal
What will it take to end the gun carnage? Star Tribune
Health care coverage
Hurricane Katrina anniversary
Iconic images of Hurricane Katrina’s devastating destruction, Washington Post
King, Martin Luther
Today in history
This is your brain on tax credits, Minnesota Budget Project