- Today is Worlds Aids Day.
- The Senate Capital Investment committee will tour the northeastern suburbs today. Tomorrow, the committee visits Fort Snelling, Apple Valley, Hastings and Inver Grove Heights. On Thursday, the group will review projects in Blaine, Coon Rapids, Golden Valley and St. Louis Park.
- 7:30 a.m. – The Elk River School District is seeking to outsource custodial jobs. Current custodians are members of SEIU Local 284. This morning there will be an action outside the Handke Center, 1170 Main St., Elk River where a pre-proposal meeting for contractors will be held.
- 9:30 a.m. – The Legislative Commission on Data Practices will meet. Basement Hearing Room, State Office Building.
- 10 a.m. – Gov. Dayton will provide remarks at the groundbreaking for a new north Minneapolis Work Force Center and community resource center at 800 West Broadway. Walgreens Building, 2nd Floor, 627 W Broadway, Minneapolis.
- 10 a.m. – The House Education Innovation Policy Committee will meet. Room 200, State Office Building.
- 1:30 p.m. – The Minnesota Department of Human Services is co-hosting an information session on annual health plan selection for MinnesotaCare and Medical Assistance at the Hmong American Partnership (HAP) Community Center in St. Paul.
- 2 p.m. – The House Rules Committee will meet to discuss a resolution authorizing amicus brief on Minnesota Sex Offender Program litigation.
- 6 p.m. – Minnesotans are invited to help shape policies regarding art in the newly renovated and preserved Minnesota Capitol. Hamline University’s Anderson Center, 774 Snelling Ave N, St Paul.
- 6:30 p.m. – Senate District 37 DFL will host a Chili Cook Off and Silent Auction at the Club West Club House, 11211 Club W Parkway, Blaine.
Mark your calendars
- Dec. 6 – DFL Disability Caucus social, 1 – 5 p.m., Eagles Club, 2507 E 25th St., Minneapolis. Hot dish, dessert, and coffee or tea available for $5, or order from the menu.
- Dec. 8 – Special election in Dist. 3A.
- Dec. 13 – Moms Demand Action: How to Keep Our Kids Safe. This free forum on preventing gun violence will be held at 2 p.m. at the Dakota County Library, 1340 Wescott Rd., Eagan. Guest speakers include Sen. Jim Carlson and Rep. Dan Schoen.
- Dec. 13 – MYDFL will hold a central committee meeting. Noon, St. Louis Park Library.
- Dec. 15 – Hillary Clinton will visit Minnesota.
- Dec. 16 – Congressional District 3 DFL Winter Party. 7 p.m. Nelson home, 8983 Preserve Blvd., Eden Prairie.
- Dec. 13 – Senate District 58 DFL will host its winter fundraiser from 4 – 7 p.m. at Carbone’s, 10 N 8th St., Farmington. The tickets, which are $20, are available by mail: SD 58 DFL, 8251 166th St. W, Lakeville, MN 55044.
- Jan. 29 – Congressional District 2 DFL will host A Taste of Mardi Gras. The event takes place from 7 – 11 p.m. at Neisen’s Bar & Grill, 4851 W 123rd St., Savage. Suggested contribution is $40 and tickets can be purchased online at www.dflcd2.com.
It’s now or never for Chris Christie, Washington Post
Donald Trump ponders charging CNN for his debate participation, Washington Post
Ted Cruz gains in Iowa, looks to broaden appeal, Star Tribune
Crowded GOP field gives Iowa more heft, Star Tribune
Conservative Koch brothers to target Wisconsin Latinos, Pioneer Press
Donald Trump botched what should have been a simple meeting with African American clergy on Monday. Over the holiday weekend, he announced a private meeting with 100 African American Evangelical pastors and indicated many of those pastors were expected to endorse him publicly afterward. That wasn’t the way many clergy members (who took heat on social media for being on the list) saw it: Some said they simply wanted to sit down and talk issues with the GOP front-runner. Others said they were invited to sit down with Trump and hadn’t even accepted that invitation. By Sunday, Trump had to walk back his endorsement announcement, calling it all a misunderstanding. By Monday, the drama of what should have been a simple meeting had become a national news story, almost entirely of Trump’s doing. Washington Post
Should lawmakers meet in Capitol construction zone? Rochester Post Bulletin
Affordable Care Act
Senate to vote on Obamacare repeal this week, Washington Post
Colorful UMN historian Hy Berman dies, Pioneer Press
Black Lives Matter protest
Four charged in shooting of Minneapolis protesters, New York Times
4 men charged in shooting at Jamar Clark protest, Pioneer Press
Unions press for action on climate change, Workday Minnesota
The two sides of the PolyMet debate mapped, Pioneer Press
Planned Parenthood shooting
Stock the Shelves