2017 Legislative Session
How Minnesota Republicans are using their one-member majority to rig the Senate, City Pages
House moves quickly on Real ID but opposition in bipartisan, Star Tribune
Minnesota Republicans target water quality law for repeal, Star Tribune
Lawmakers OK initial tax cuts, begin debating others, MPR
MN GOP Redefines “Public Testimony” To Advance Health Insurance Bill, The UpTake
Minnesota Legislature sworn into office, Aitkin Age
Affordable Care Act
While you were sleeping, Senate Republicans began gutting health insurance for 20 million people, Fusion
Senate Takes First Step to Repeal Obamacare-So What’s Next?, NPR
Senate Adopts Budget Opening Door for Obamacare Repeal, Roll Call
Minnesota’s doctors enter Obamacare debate, Duluth News Tribune
DFL Congressional Delegation
Federal bill would take gray wolves off endangered list, West Central Tribune
Senate bill introduced to kill sales tax on medical devices, Star Tribune
Franken: ‘You Can’t Rely on Anything’ Trump Says on Russia, ABC News
DNC Chair’s Race
Keith Ellison picks ex-DNC Latino as press secretary, The Hill
DNC Chair Race: Jamie Harrison on the Future of the Party, Daily Kos
Democrats bringing post-Trump win future of party forum to Phoenix, Phoenix Business Journal
Could the DNC Hacks Backfire Spectacularly on Putin? The Surprising Dissent in His Inner Circle, Daily Kos
In combative news conference, Trump concedes Russia’s role in election hacking, Chicago Tribune
Comey Letter on Clinton Email is Subject of Justice Dept. Inquiry, New York Times
Gov. Dayton and Lt. Gov. Smith
Dayton Orders Flags Flown at Half-Staff in Memory of Judge, KSTP
State grants $34 million to expand rural broadband, Bemidji Pioneer
Minn. farmers need property tax relief now, Austin Daily Herald
Minnesota Health Insurance Relief
Find most efficient route for insurance relief in Minnesota, Star Tribune
Health insurance premium relief passed by state Senate, but conflict with Dayton looms, Star Tribune
Inside the DNC’s War Room for Trump Cabinet Confirmation Hearings, ABC News
Rep. Walz approves of Shulkin as VA secretary, MPR
Snowflakes face the fire, Boston Globe
Democrats’ role for Mattis: The anti-Trump, Politico
Trump’s Cabinet picks break with him on at least 10 major issues, MPR
Trump’s HHS pick will sell off stock to avoid conflicts, MPR
- January 14, 2017, 8:30 AM — Think Again MN Stone Arch Discussion Group: Hennepin County Commissioner Peter McLaughlin, Wilde Roast Cafe, 65 SE Main St, Minneapolis, MN 55414
- January 15, 2017 — Day of Action: Save Medicare. If you have a Facebook account, log on an join the group here.
- January 15, 2017, 2:00 PM — Join MoveOn members and our allies across the country as we come together to talk about what resistance looks like on the local level and to make a plan for how we’ll protect our communities, defend our democracy, and resist the new administration every step of the way. Nearly 9,000 MoveOn members have already signed up to attend more than 500 meetings across the country, all hosted by local volunteers. RSVP here.
- January 16 — Martin Luther King Day
- January 16, 6:30 PM — SD50 DFL Central Committee Meeting, Room C102, Kennedy High School, 9701 Nicollet Ave S, Bloomington, MN 55420
- January 17, 2017, 6:00 PM — Think Again MN January Brooklyns: Increasing Education and Income Equity in MN – In Honor of MLK, Cafeteria, Hennepin Technical College, 9000 Brooklyn Blvd, Brooklyn Park, MN. Please RSVP here.
- January 18, 7:00 PM — CD3 DFL Central Committee Meeting, Council Chambers, Minnetonka Community Center, 14600 Minnetonka Blvd, Minnetonka, MN 55345
- January 21, 2017 — Women’s March on Washington-Minnesota, more information here. There is a possibility of a bus from our area being chartered. Click here to email for more information.
- January 22, 2:00 PM — CD3 DFL Outreach Retreat, 10467 DuPont Ave S, Bloomington, MN 55431
- January 24, 2017, 6:30 PM — HD46B Legislative Priorities Session with Rep. Cheryl Youakim, St. Louis Park Library, 3240 Library Ln, St. Louis Park, MN 55426
- January 30, 2017, 12:00 PM —Center for the Study of Politics and Governance, Humphrey School of Public Affairs Presents New Roles for Black Athletes? Post-Ferguson and Post-Kaepernick in the Age of Trump, register here.
- January 23 — Gov. Dayton’s State of the State Address
- January 28, 1:30 PM — SD47 DFL Voter Education Seminar: Electoral College Forum, Dr. Mitchell Krum, Professor of Political Science at Bethel College, will discuss the constitutional origins of the Electoral College, as well as the pros and cons of various ideas for reform. There will be a question and answer session. All are welcome. Chaska Community Theater, 1661 Park Ridge Dr, Chaska, MN 55318
- January 31, 2017, 6:00 PM — Senate District 46 Joint Townhall with Sen. Ron Latz, Rep. Peggy Flanagan, Rep. Cheryl Youakim, St. Louis Park Library, 3240 Library Ln, St. Louis Park, MN 55426
- January 31, 7:00 PM — SD49 DFL New Office Opening, 7001 Cahill Rd, Suite 21, Edina. Come up the stairs or elevators. See our new digs, enjoy deserts, wine and coffee with us — and great conversation. Donations appreciated.
- February 1, 7:00 PM — SD46 Central Committee Meeting, Sammy Perrella’s Pizza and Restaurant, 97509 Schreiber Ter N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55445
- Feburary 4, 10:00 AM — Post Inauguration Unity Gathering, Community Room, Power’s Ridge Apartments, 132 Lake Drive W, Chanhassen. Candle lighting and short meditation, a change to share your reactions to the inauguration and new administration. Please bring any readings or ideas that have helped you. Music, sage burning. RSVP to Laura Helm at firstname.lastname@example.org. Call Jodi Holden at 952.240.3846 if you need directions.
- February 9, 6:30 PM — State DFL Listening Session, Wayzata Central Middle School Auditorium, 305 Vicksburg Ln N, Plymouth, MN 55447. If you were active in your Senate District, a campaign or were a candidate, please attend. Please RSVP here.
- February 9, 7:00 PM — SD34 DFL Central Committee Meeting, 12800 Arbor Lakes Pkwy N, Maple Grove, MN 55369
- February 9, 7:00 PM — SD48 DFL Central Committee Meeting, Glen Lake Activity Center, 14350 Excelsior Blvd, Minnetonka, MN 55345
- February 14 — Valentine’s Day
- February 14, 7:00 PM — SD40 DFL Central Committee Meeting, no location available let
- February 15, 7:00 PM — CD3 DFL Central Committee Meeting, Council Chambers, Minnetonka Community Center, 14600 Minnetonka Blvd, Minnetonka, MN 55345