- 9 a.m. – The Minnesota House of Representatives meets in session.
- 11 a.m. – The Minnesota Senate meets in session.
- 2 p.m. – Gov. Dayton and an illustrious group of state officials and former officials will gather at the Armstrong Day Bay Area on the shores of Lake Vermilion near the Soudan Underground Mine State Park to hold a groundbreaking for the new Lake Vermilion State Park. Former Gov. Pawlenty, who initiated the Lake Vermilion State Park plan in 2010, will be at the event.
- 4 p.m. – A community picnic kicks off the 2015 Governor’s Fishing Opener, Tower Civic Center. The event includes free food, free games, great entertainment and several other activities. Follow along at #MNGFO2015.
- 5:45 p.m. – Gov. Dayton and Lt. Gov. Smith will buy their 2015 fishing licenses at the Soudan Community Store, 30 Main St., Soudan.
- Midnight – Gov. Dayton, Lt. Gov. Smith, former Chief Justice Eric Magnuson, and Congressman Rick Nolan will fish on Lake Vermilion, from the docks at local resident Brian Anderson’s cabin, 1325 Whiskey Point Rd, Tower.
- 8 a.m. – Gov. Dayton and Lt. Gov. Smith will speak at the Fishing Sendoff Ceremony at Fortune Bay Casino before fishing on Lake Vermilion. Docks and Marina of Fortune Bay Casino Resort, Tower.
- 11:30 a.m. – Gov. Dayton and Lt. Gov. Smith will attend a shore lunch at Fortune Bay Casino, Tower.
Constituency Caucus meetings
- May 12 – The North Metro Chapter of the DFL Senior Caucus will meet at 11:30 a.m. at Little Venetian Inn, Little Canada. Ramsey County Commissioner Mary Jo McGuire and Ramsey County Deputy Manager Heather Worthington will discuss the Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant redevelopment.
- May 16 – The DFL African-American Caucus will meet at 10 a.m., Golden Thyme Coffee House, 921 Selby Ave, St. Paul.
- May 16 – The DFL Environmental Caucus will hold a membership meeting, noon, Powderhorn Recreation Center, 3400 15th Ave. S, Minneapolis.
- May 21 – MYDFL Central Committee meeting, 6:15 p.m., Rondo Community Library, 461 N Dale St., St. Paul.
- May 21 – The Hennepin County DFL Senior Caucus will meet at 12:30 p.m. at Maria’s Cafe, 1113 E Franklin Ave., Mineapolis. The speaker will be Lee Graczyk, lead organizer for RxRights.org. He is knowledgeable on the politics of Prescription Medicine.
Events you won’t want to miss!
- June 6 – Tickets are now on sale for the 4th Annual Humphrey-Mondale Dinner. Donate $5 or more to help our progressive candidates win and be entered to be Jennifer Granholm’s special guest at the dinner. Click on the image to donate.
- June 20 – Registration is now open for the DFL Training Summit. Attend and learn how you can help the party build to win, built to last.
Iowa GOP aims to scale back sideshow at 2016 straw poll, cutting cost for White House hopefuls, US News and World Report
Santorum’s visit kicks off presidential campaigning in Rochester, Rochester Post Bulletin
Former appointee to New Jersey Gov. Christie pleads guilty to bridge scandal, Duluth News Tribune
How the GOP House budget takes aim at funding for college students, The Washington Post
The greening of Mark Dayton, MinnPost
Tackling the achievement gap for American Indian students, Session Daily
More than fishing, Mesabi Daily News
Bill would allow refusal of same-sex weddings, Pioneer Press
Health and human services
Poppe, DFL stand against House proposal to cut health program, Austin Daily Herald
Minnesota Senate votes to kill online lottery games, Pioneer Press
Major League Soccer
Fiery derailment underscores Minnesota has no rail deal, Pioneer Press
Traffic congestion growing in Twin Cities metro area, Star Tribune