- 8 a.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will provide remarks at a forum concerning the Environmental Initiative’s Clean Power Plan: Shaping Minnesota’s Response. Hamline University, Klas Center.
- 9:30 a.m. – The Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx are hosting a press conference to announce details of a new major partnership extension with Target. The announcement is being held on the actual 25th anniversary date of the opening of Target Center.
- 11 a.m. – Gov. Dayton will celebrate the expansion of Interstate 94 and the opening of a FedEx Ground facility in Rogers, FedEx Ground, 19705 Rogers Dr., Rogers.
- Noon – Lt. Gov. Smith will attend the Northside Achievement Zone’s One Future Luncheon. The Depot, 225 Third Ave. S, Minneapolis.
- 1 p.m. – Gov. Dayton will participate in a community conversation facilitated by the Central Minnesota NAACP. Great River Regional Library, 1300 W St. Germain St., St. Cloud.
- 4:30 p.m. – 50 ISAIAH members who are parents, school stakeholders and community members will rally to publicly affirm Minneapolis Public Schools’ (MPS) decision to end all non-violent school suspensions grades pre-k though 5, a decision made by Interim Superintendent Michal Goar, and galvanized & organized by people of faith.
- 6 p.m. – Join Congressman Ellison and members of Witness for Peace’s recent delegation to Colombia for insights on issues of race, human rights, labor and trade. Emerge Building-Phillips Room, 1834 Emerson Ave. N, Minneapolis.
- 7:30 p.m. – CNN will host the first Democratic primary presidential debate. Join the debate on social media with #DemDebate and #WeAreDemocrats.
- Oct. 17 – Le Sueur Co. DFL’s Annual Fall Fundraiser. American Legion Hall in Montgomery. The event includes a social hour (5 p.m.), dinner (6 p.m.), program and live auction (7 p.m.). Contact Janet Straub for tickets: 612-710-5783.
- Oct. 17 – The 13th Annual Cass & Crow Wing County DFL will be held at 4:30 p.m. at the Nisswa American Legion, 25807 Main St., Nisswa. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door.
- Oct. 18 – The 12th Annual Donkey Chili Feed will take place at 4 p.m. at the Pine City VFW, 305 8th St. SW, Pine City. Tickets are $10.
- Oct. 21 – Beltrami County DFL Fish Fry Fundraiser, 5:30 p.m., Eagles Club, Nielson Ave. SE, Bemidji.
- Oct. 24 – Pizza, Pie & Politicians DFL SD48 Fall Function! 6 – 9:30 p.m. at Homeward Hills Park Barn, 12000 Silverwood Dr., Eden Prairie. (more info)
- Oct. 25 – Senate District 14 DFL will host the Wellstone Dinner, 5 p.m., Courtyard Marriott, 404 W Saint Germain St., St. Cloud. Click here for tickets.
- Oct. 25 – Congressional District 4 DFL will host the Vento Dinner 2015. Doors open at 4 p.m. New location – Midpoint Event Center, St. Paul. For ticket information, go here https://www.dfl.org/cd4/bruce-vento-dinner-tickets-2/ .
- Nov. 1 – CD 1 DFL will host its Autumn Dinner with Congressman Tim Walz. The keynote speaker is DNC Vice Chair R.T. Rybak. Special guests include Secretary of State Steve Simon and Attorney General Lori Swanson. 5 p.m., Owatonna Veterans of Foreign Wars, 135 Oakdale St., Owatonna. Please RSVP by Oct. 21 with meal choice (turkey dinner or vegetarian lasagna) to Shawn Groth at email@example.com.
- Nov. 4 – CD3 DFL Fall Fundraising Event: An Evening with Vice President Walter Mondale, moderated by Don Shelby. The 7 p.m. event will be held at Hughes Pavilion, Centennial Lakes, 7499 France Ave. S, Edina. Tickets may be purchased online at www.dfl3cd.org. Reservations can also be made by mail. Checks should be payable to CD 3 DFL and mailed to Nancy Parris, 8350 Airport Rd, Waconia, MN 55387.
Radio show host Jason Lewis confirms he’ll run for Congress, Pioneer Press
Ellison endorses Bernie Sanders for president, Star Tribune
U.S. Congressman Keith Ellison backing Sanders for president, Pioneer Press
Which presidential candidate will drop out next? Star Tribune
Capitol art work
Columbia Heights School Board
Democratic debate will reveal subtle divides, if not wide gaps, New York Times
Four things to watch in the first Democratic debate, Star Tribune
The seeds of the GOP’s infighting were planted long ago, Washington Post
Ryan keeps colleagues in suspense, The Hill
Indigenous Peoples Day
Major League Soccer
Steel firm, state in talks over unpaid Iron Range incentives, Pioneer Press