- 9 a.m. – Secretary of State Steve Simon meets with Stevens County Auditor/Treasurer Amanda Barsness. 400 Colorado Avenue, Morris.
- 9:30 a.m. – Gov. Dayton will host a breakfast reception at the Governor’s Residence to honor WNBA Champions, the Minnesota Lynx.
- 9:30 a.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will provide remarks and sign the Under2MOU, an international compact among cities, states, and countries to limit greenhouse gas pollution. She will be joined by Minister Johannes Remmel of North Rhine-Westphalia and Commerce Commissioner Rothman. CHS Field, Securian Club, 360 N Broadway St., St. Paul.
- 10:15 a.m. – Secretary of State Steve Simon meets with Grant County Auditor Chad Van Santen. 10 2nd Street NE, Elbow Lake.
- 11:45 a.m. – Secretary of State Steve Simon meets with Traverse County Auditor/Treasurer Kit Johnson. 702 2nd Ave N, Wheaton.
- 1:30 p.m. – Wilkin County Auditor Janelle Krump. 1st Floor, Courthouse, 300 5th Street S, Breckenridge.
- 2 p.m. – Lt. Gov. Smith will chair a meeting of the Capitol Area Architectural and Planning Board.
- 3 p.m. – Secretary of State Steve Simon meets with Someplace Safe Executive Director Sheila Korby and Safe at Home Application Assistants. 106 S Union Ave., Fergus Falls.
- Gov. Dayton will visit the Board of Animal Health to thank employees for their avian flu response efforts last spring.
- Gov. Dayton will meet with Carmen Fontes, Consul General of Spain, and Maria Antonia Calvo, Honorary Consul of Spain in Minnesota.
- The Twin Cities Book Festival. Sen. Amy Klobuchar will read from her book “The Senator Next Door.” Minnesota State Fairgrounds. More information is available here.
- 4:30 p.m. – The 13th Annual Cass & Crow Wing County DFL will be held at the Nisswa American Legion, 25807 Main St., Nisswa. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door.
- 5 p.m. – Le Sueur Co. DFL’s Annual Fall Fundraiser. American Legion Hall in Montgomery. The event includes a social hour (5 p.m.), dinner (6 p.m.), program and live auction (7 p.m.). Contact Janet Straub for tickets: 612-710-5783.
- 1 p.m. – Stonewall DFL will have its monthly board meeting at the Minneapolis Central Library in Room N-202. They will discuss outreach plans along with planning for the 2016 election year.
- 4 p.m. – The 12th Annual Donkey Chili Feed will take place at the Pine City VFW, 305 8th St. SW, Pine City. Tickets are $10.
Mark your calendars
- Oct. 24 – The DFL African American Caucus will hold its monthly meet at 10 a.m. at East Lake Library, 2727 E Lake St., Minneapolis.
- Nov. 3 – Election Day! Check your ballots here http://bit.ly/1oqFLFD.
- Oct. 21 – Beltrami County DFL Fish Fry Fundraiser, 5:30 p.m., Eagles Club, Nielson Ave. SE, Bemidji.
- Oct. 24 – Pizza, Pie & Politicians DFL SD48 Fall Function! 6 – 9:30 p.m. at Homeward Hills Park Barn, 12000 Silverwood Dr., Eden Prairie. (more info)
- Oct. 25 – Senate District 14 DFL will host the Wellstone Dinner, 5 p.m., Courtyard Marriott, 404 W Saint Germain St., St. Cloud. Click here for tickets.
- Oct. 25 – Congressional District 4 DFL will host the Vento Dinner 2015. Doors open at 4 p.m. New location – Midpoint Event Center, St. Paul. For ticket information, go here https://www.dfl.org/cd4/bruce-vento-dinner-tickets-2/ .
- Nov. 1 – CD 1 DFL will host its Autumn Dinner with Congressman Tim Walz. The keynote speaker is DNC Vice Chair R.T. Rybak. Special guests include Secretary of State Steve Simon and Attorney General Lori Swanson. 5 p.m., Owatonna Veterans of Foreign Wars, 135 Oakdale St., Owatonna. Please RSVP by Oct. 21 with meal choice (turkey dinner or vegetarian lasagna) to Shawn Groth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nov. 4 – CD3 DFL Fall Fundraising Event: An Evening with Vice President Walter Mondale, moderated by Don Shelby. The 7 p.m. event will be held at Hughes Pavilion, Centennial Lakes, 7499 France Ave. S, Edina. Tickets may be purchased online at www.dfl3cd.org. Reservations can also be made by mail. Checks should be payable to CD 3 DFL and mailed to Nancy Parris, 8350 Airport Rd, Waconia, MN 55387.
Voters are disgusted. So why are record numbers watching the debates? Washington Post
In campaign money race, Democrats vastly outpacing Republicans, Washington Post
O’Malley raises only $1.3 million during latest fundraising quarter, Washington Post
Rand Paul sees dismal third quarter fundraising numbers, Washington Post
Winners and losers in 2016 money race, The Hill
Jeb Bush slashes campaign salaries, Politico
Chris Christie raised $4.2 million last quarter, spent $2.8 million, Wall Street Journal
Jindal campaign raised less than $600,000 last quarter, Washington Post
Fiorina campaign sees fundraising boost in third quarter, Washington Post
Former Arkansas governor and GOP presidential candidate Mike Huckabee used to actually be kinda funny, writes my colleague Philip Bump. But his tweets during the Democratic debate outshined Trump’s tweets for all the wrong reasons. They were off-kilter, out-of-date and, well, corny. And in this case, racist. But hey, they make for great water-cooler talk in our newsletter, so there’s that. Washington Post
DFL party chair on Democratic Visions, Eden Prairie News
Lt. Governor talks up Minnesota manufacturing, Brainerd Dispatch
Former Speaker Hastert expected to plead guilty, Washington Post
Ironbound Studios Minnesota
Knutson honored as she retires as AFL-CIO president, Workday Minnesota
Home care worker gets first paid day off in 15 years, Workday Minnesota
Today in history
Gov. Dayton traveling to view best and worst of mining, Star Tribune
Minnesota National Guard 682nd Engineering Battalion
159 soldiers prepare for nine months in Kuwait, West Central Tribune
Dayton’s bold move on race disparity, St. Cloud Times
University of Minnesota