- 8:45 a.m. – Gov. Dayton will attend Cargill’s 150th Anniversary Celebration
- Noon – Education Commissioner Brenda Cassellius kicks off a statewide tour of all four- and five-time Reward Schools in the state, seeking to gain insight into what efforts are having the greatest impact for students. Her first visit is at Valley Crossing Community School, 900 Park Crossing, Woodbury.
- 1:30 p.m. – Education Commissioner Brenda Cassellius visits Twin Cities Academy High School, 835 5th St E, St Paul.
- Canada’s federal elections are today.
Mark your calendars
- Oct. 24 – The DFL African American Caucus will hold its monthly meet at 10 a.m. at East Lake Library, 2727 E Lake St., Minneapolis.
- Nov. 3 – Election Day! Check your ballots here http://bit.ly/1oqFLFD.
- Oct. 21 – Beltrami County DFL Fish Fry Fundraiser, 5:30 p.m., Eagles Club, Nielson Ave. SE, Bemidji.
- Oct. 24 – Pizza, Pie & Politicians DFL SD48 Fall Function! 6 – 9:30 p.m. at Homeward Hills Park Barn, 12000 Silverwood Dr., Eden Prairie. (more info)
- Oct. 25 – Senate District 14 DFL will host the Wellstone Dinner, 5 p.m., Courtyard Marriott, 404 W Saint Germain St., St. Cloud. Click here for tickets.
- Oct. 25 – Congressional District 4 DFL will host the Vento Dinner 2015. Doors open at 4 p.m. New location – Midpoint Event Center, St. Paul. For ticket information, go here https://www.dfl.org/cd4/bruce-vento-dinner-tickets-2/ .
- Nov. 1 – CD 1 DFL will host its Autumn Dinner with Congressman Tim Walz. The keynote speaker is DNC Vice Chair R.T. Rybak. Special guests include Secretary of State Steve Simon and Attorney General Lori Swanson. 5 p.m., Owatonna Veterans of Foreign Wars, 135 Oakdale St., Owatonna. Please RSVP by Oct. 21 with meal choice (turkey dinner or vegetarian lasagna) to Shawn Groth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nov. 4 – CD3 DFL Fall Fundraising Event: An Evening with Vice President Walter Mondale, moderated by Don Shelby. The 7 p.m. event will be held at Hughes Pavilion, Centennial Lakes, 7499 France Ave. S, Edina. Tickets may be purchased online at www.dfl3cd.org. Reservations can also be made by mail. Checks should be payable to CD 3 DFL and mailed to Nancy Parris, 8350 Airport Rd, Waconia, MN 55387.
- Nov. 21 – CD 6 Unity Dinner – Drawn Together. 5 p.m., Teamsters Local 120, Blaine. Keynote speaker is Congressman Tim Walz. Ticket information coming soon.
It’s almost Election Day, mn progressive project
Petricka eyeing Republican party nomination for MN District 20 race, Northfield News
Howe, others putting big money into 2nd District campaign, Winona Daily News
Clinton’s big-spending gamble, The Hill
Bidenites say it ain’t over yet, MinnPost
In campaign money race, Democrats vastly outpacing Republicans, Washington Post
Jeb Bush, no longer the Republicans’ Mr. Inevitable, Washington Post
Campaign finance: Democrats are putting a bigger emphasis on raising money for their actual campaigns, while Republicans seem to be focusing more on their technically separate super PACs that can accept unlimited checks. Which strategy works best should be a key question come November 2016. Washington Post
2016 special election
CNBC agrees to Trump demand on debate, The Hill
Department of Natural Resources
Franken discusses rural skills gap, St. Cloud Times
Turmoil swirls around U of M president, Albert Lea Tribune
Enbridge, PUC ask Minnesota Supreme Court to take up Sandpiper pipeline case, Brainerd Dispatch
Governor’s Pheasant Opener 2016
Speaker dilemma awaits Congress, Star Tribune
Senate Bonding Committee heading to dam sites, Austin Daily Herald
Lynx celebrate third WNBA Championship, Star Tribune
Minnesota v. Wisconsin
Humphrey School hosts two Washington, DC, events to honor the life and legacy of Walter F. Mondale, University of Minnesota
Celebrating Fritz: An Evening with Walter Mondale, Star Tribune
Nursing home residents
Minnesota AG seeks protection for nursing home residents, Pioneer Press
Friends and family remember a ‘classic public servant,’ Rochester Post Bulletin
Leo John Reding, 91, Austin Daily Herald
Stassen, J. Robert
Highway 14: Expedite funding for corridor of commerce, Austin Daily Herald
How Scott Walker spent $90,000 a day to lose an election, Washington Post