- The Senate Capital Investment Committee will visit Two Harbors, the Split Rock Light House, Ely and Lake Vermillion Park.
- 8:30 a.m. – The Legislative-Citizen Commission on Minnesota Resources will meet to review buffer provisions and the BP Oil Spill settlement for Minnesota.
- 4:30 p.m. – A fundraiser honoring the long-time service of Rep. Lyndon Carlson and Rep. Phyllis Kahn, the longest serving members of the Minnesota House in state history, is being held at the Carpenters Hall, 730 Olive St., St. Paul.
- 5 p.m. – The four bottom-tier Republican candidates for president will be in an undercard debate on CNN.
- 7 p.m. – Eleven Republican candidates for president will debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. Catch it on CNN.
Mark your calendars
- Sept. 17 – DFL Senior Caucus will meet at 12:30 p.m. at Maria’s Cafe, 1113 E Franklin Ave., Minneapolis.
- Sept. 22 – “Voter Registration Day” in Minnesota. 800,000 Minnesotans are eligible to vote and have not registered.
- Sept. 26 – The DFL Environmental Caucus will meet at Fond du Lac Community College in Cloquet. Sign in starts at 12:30 p.m., the meeting begins at 1 p.m.
- The DFL African American Caucus will meet at 10 a.m. at Hosmer Library, 347 E 36th St., Minneapolis. Guest speakers are Sen. Champion and Rep. Moran.
- Oct. 10 – The College Democrats of Minnesota are holding a 2015 Fall Leadership Summit. Noon, Teamsters Council Joint 32, Minneapolis.
- Oct. 13 – The first Democratic debate takes place in Las Vegas. It will air on CNN.
- Sept. 20 – 14th Annual Congressional District 2 DFL Fundraiser, 4 p.m., The Wilds, Prior Lake.
- Sept. 26 – Congressional District 7 has scheduled a fall fundraiser dinner at the Kandi Entertainment Center in Willmar. The keynote speaker is R.T. Rybak, current vice-chair of the Democratic National Committee and former mayor of Minneapolis. A CD7 central committee meeting and a rural candidate training session are both scheduled for earlier in the day.
- Sept. 27 – Rice County DFL will hold its 4th Annual Hotdish Dinner & Cook-Off Fundraiser – A Celebration of the Middle Class. 4 p.m., Vintage Ballroom & Suites, 129 Central Ave. N, Faribault. For more information, contact Shawn Groth, chair, Rice County DFL, email@example.com.
- Oct. 11 – Senate Districts 25 and 26 will hold a FDR dinner at the Kahler Hotel in Rochester. The keynote speaker is Javier Morillo-Alicea, SEIU #26 President, political commentator and activist. He will share stories about his entry into progressive politics. DFL elected officials and candidates will also speak. For more information or tickets, contact Randy at 651-210-3981 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Nancy at email@example.com.
- Nov. 4 – CD3 DFL Fall Fundraising Event: An Evening with Vice President Walter Mondale, moderated by Don Shelby. The location of the 7 p.m. event will be announced soon. Tickets may be purchased online at www.dfl3cd.org. Reservations can also be made by mail. Checks should be payable to CD 3 DFL and mailed to Nancy Parris, 8350 Airport Rd, Waconia, MN 55387.
Duluth voters narrow races for mayor, City Council, Duluth News Tribune
2015 special election
MN House 3A: Special election primary September 29, mn progressive project
Hansen endorsed by DFL Environmental Caucus, International Falls Journal
Second District: Pawlenty, Pratt reject race for Congress, Pioneer Press
Alongside Trump’s campaign, activist clashes are growing uglier, Washington Post
This guy wants to be president: Walker begs Republicans to look at him, mn progressive project
He was the everyman candidate, now Scott Walker needs to stand out, Washington Post
Rand Paul makes a bet on Minnesota, MinnPost
Affordable Care Act
Black Lives Matter
Senate bill tour at its end, Mesabi Daily News
‘Senate Next Door’ Klobuchar visits Content Bookstore, Northfield News
- Trump wages war on 10 fronts
- Fiorina steps into the spotlight
- Carson reaches the moment of truth
- Can Bush claw his way back into the race?
Gov. Mark Dayton addresses local Rotarians about health care, transportation, Owatonna People’s Press
HP to jettison up to 30,000 jobs as part of spinoff, Washington Post
Smith talks early childhood education at Harrison Elementary, Brainerd Dispatch
Where was the support? Lawmakers hear concerns over environment, ag policy, Austin Daily News
Dems block Iran bill for a second time, The Hill
Union suspends strike; school to start Thursday in Seattle, The Seattle Times
Today in history
Marriage licenses – Kentucky
Should 16-year-olds be able to register to vote? Washington Post